Friday, June 17, 2011

Making lemonade


Let me tell you, working a couple blocks from home is the only way to go.  Bike to Work week came and went without a change in my own routine, because it's already just a way of life for me.  I don't want to go back.  (I had one meeting in Wisconsin Rapids that week, 120 miles north, and opted for driving a state car there, though I really do want to ride to that office sometime)!  Sure, jobs and home situations change, sometimes suddenly, but a good degree of choice in these is one of the great American freedoms.  Sometimes people say to me things like "I could never bike to work, I live 30 miles away!" and I'm stumped on how to respond.  I'd like to say "where you live and work are really your choice, even if they can be a hard choice," but an elevator ride only lasts a few seconds.  Usually I take the stairs, 6 floors.  To each their own.

On Wednesdays I stroll through the Hilldale Farmers' market, where I pick up fresh local foods and plants.  Now that it's June, the tulips and hyacinths have gone back to their bulbs to wait for next spring (if I can keep the chipmunks off of them) while the ferms and hostas have exploded into hugeness while the air is still mild.  The lollipop-tops of the alliums have lost their flowers, but the seedhead-spheres still make for cool orbs floating over the rest of the garden.  Of course, fruits always top the list.  Big news: the strawberries are coming!  I've always planted the usual stuff in my garden: spinach, lettuce, etc., but noticed that I could never keep up with it.  It's always easy an inexpensive to buy at the farmers' market.  So this year, what the heck: I've been focusing on planting more of the FUN stuff, like fruits!  Isn't that what you *really* want to go out into the garden to pick?  The stuff that never even makes it back to the house, because I just sit in the garden and eat 'em as I find 'em.  Uh, oh, there's a thesis!  Plant the stuff you love - make space in your garden for the things you like the most - then get out there and eat it up!

They say if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Well, if you like lemonade: plant lemon trees!

Also in life...
Earlier this week, I traveled to Mineral Point to visit my friend Annika, a fellow Team In Training cyclist, blogger, and chicken-keeper.  She takes beautiful photos (see them at www.driftlessliving.com).  Well, for fun and in anticipation of the new blog, we did a photoshoot for me, which included walking, running, and bicycling.  That area is called the "driftless region" because the glaciers missed it - and there's some serious topo.  My top speed on one descent was 53.4 mph.  On bike.

Racing season is here!  Last night I did the second Aquathon, with what I felt were very good results.  I'm not the strongest swimmer, but over the course of this 1,000 yards, I found a good groove and even fell in behind another pair of feet that I could draft behind for half of the race.  I've never really been able to find a good draft before, and it was exciting to get into that zone and get sucked along!  Imagine how much easier 4,000 meters will be at Ironman if I do it there.  I put new elastic laces into my racing shoes so I could use them in triathlon, and I think they're going to be pretty swift.  Love it.  Sunday is my first tri of the season, the "Triterium" in Verona, WI - my fourth go at this race, the site of where it all began.

I hope that your summer is off to a good start, and that you've found time to enjoy the things you love.  Maybe step back and chop away something cluttering and nourish a perennial that will give you systematic joy.  Maybe come join me at the races - we'd love to have you.  Thanks for reading... until next time.

OK, my story's told for the day and it's time to get to work.  Be there in 5!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, friend! Can't wait for all of your exciting launches and projects in the works. You are inspirational and fill my head with creative ideas--can't wait to see what you come up with next! :)

    ReplyDelete